To See a World in a Grain of Sand and a Heaven in a Wildflower William Blake (1757–1827), Auguries of Innocence
This quotation from William Blake's poem, Auguries of Innocence, reflects my philosophy of photography as I especially enjoy macrophotography of flora, insects, and spiders in which I focus on the details often overlooked by the casual observer.
The images included in the Nature In Focus photo galleries represent a handful of the thousands of images of matching quality that I have photographed during the past thirty years. I have an extensive collection of flora and fauna from Florida and the southeastern United States. My wife and I have had the opportunity to explore and photograph many of the natural areas of Texas, New Mexico, Washington, and Indiana as well.
My portfolio consists of over 75,000 35 mm film slides of fauna, flora, and natural habitats.
- Native plants of Florida and southeastern United States: 50,000
- Birds of Florida and southeastern United States: 10,000
- Insects and spiders of Florida and southeastern United States: 4,000
- Reptiles and amphibians of Florida and southeastern United States: 2,000
- Natural areas and habitats of Florida: 3,000
- Texas: 2,000
- New Mexico: 2,000
- Washington state: 1,000
- Indiana: 1,000
Since switching entirely to digital, I have added another 150,000 images.
Endangered Plant Species
Since 1989, I have documented over 1800 Florida plant species. In particular, I have photographed a majority of Florida’s endangered flora. I have traveled from one end of Florida to the other in search of these wildflowers that may bloom only a few days of the year.
Some Favorite Images
You may click through the stack of photos below to view some of my favorite images. (Requires Flash Player.)
My photos have been featured in numerous books, publications, and websites. Among these are:
- Audubon magazine
- Florida Wildlife magazine
- Florida Naturalist magazine
- Florida’s Fabulous Reptiles and Amphibians
- Florida’s Fabulous Butterflies
- Florida’s Fabulous Insects
- Florida’s Fabulous Spiders
- Field Guide to the Rare Plants of Florida and its online companion Field Guide to the Rare Plants and Animals of Florida